Terms of Appointment
|£32,000 (£40,000 FTE)
|30 hours per week
|The Royal United Hospital, Combe Park, Bath
|The Board of Trustees through the Chair
|It is a requirement that all staff and volunteers submit themselves to a DBS before taking up an appointment with the Friends
|Monday 26 February 2024
|7 and 8 March 2024
The League of Friends of the Royal United Hospitals (Bath) is an independent charity which has been supporting the Royal United Hospitals Foundation Trust (Bath) as its sole beneficiary for more than 70 years.
The Trustees have overseen a number of projects designed to strengthen the governance of the charity, as well as amending the way volunteers are recruited and managed. There has also been significant investment in the charity’s main fundraising activities via the Friends of the RUH Shop and Café at B18.
To continue this work, we are looking for a forward-thinking and experienced professional to be our new Chief Executive. Reporting to the Chair of Trustees and the Board, the Chief Executive will manage the senior team, along with the Trustees, and the governance of the charity. Other responsibilities will include developing existing retail activities to maximise the funds we donate to the hospital and increasing the number of volunteers to support the growing needs of the hospital.
How to Apply
Complete the application form linked below. To discuss any matters relating to the position, please contact the Chair Bernard Rymer – Chair of Trustees at email@example.com. The closing date for applications is Monday 26 February.
Chief Executive – Role Outline
- To oversee, in accordance with the strategic direction provided by the Trustees, the management of the charity including our retail and volunteering activities.
- Ensure the charity maintains good governance and always fulfils its legal and other responsibilities.
- Work with the Treasurer and Trustees to ensure the overall financial health of the charity.
- Provide the Board with advice, recommendations, and information in an effective, thorough, and timely manner.
- Assist the Board in preparing and updating the Strategic Plan.
- Organize and attend meetings of the Board, and Subcommittees and provide written and verbal advice to ensure sound governance of the charity
- Attend meetings with the Chair and Treasurer.
- Ensure accurate records of Board and Committee meetings are produced.
Governance & Finance
- To be the main point of contact and attend meetings with
staff andmanagement and staff of the Royal United Hospitals Foundation Trust.
- Ensure the Friends of the RUH complies with its legal, statutory requirements and operational requirements of the hospital, including General Data Protection Regulations, insurances, employment law, safeguarding, health, and safety requirements.
- Together with the Trustees and relevant staff develop and implement policies, procedures, and practices in line with the charity’s values, and current legislation, and ensure their compliance.
- Maintain the risk register and, along with relevant personnel, regularly review risk assessments.
- Assist the Treasurer in ensuring full and accurate financial record keeping, assist with the preparation of the Annual Report and Financial Statements, and returns to the Charity Commission.
- Manage the Friends of the RUH Grant Funding Programme.
- Co-ordinate the administration of legacy and donor income.
Staff Management & Leadership
- Oversee the management of the Retail and Volunteering activities and ensure they are well-run operations where staff and volunteers feel valued
and,able to work efficiently and meet agreed targets.
- Oversee recruitment and selection processes including maintenance of contracts, job descriptions, person specifications, and interview and induction processes.
- Ensure regular one-to-one and team meetings and performance reviews and appraisals take place.
- Ensure staff and volunteers are adequately trained to undertake their duties.
- Work with the Retail Manager to maximize margins and promote and further develop the Friends Shop and the Café at B18.
- Work with the Retail Manager to ensure all retail staff and volunteers are well-trained and provide a high level of customer service
- Work with the Volunteer Services Manager to ensure the charity delivers an outstanding and rewarding volunteering experience that contributes value to patients, visitors, and staff of the RUH.
- Ensure that recruitment processes are efficient and campaigns take place to grow the volunteer workforce to meet the needs of the hospital.
- Work with the Volunteer Services Manager to ensure staff and volunteers are well trained and provide a high level of customer service
ze such fundraising campaigns as deemed necessary by the trustees.
- To be the main point of contact for potential and existing donors and funders.
The ideal candidate will have senior management experience in a similar organisation or other 3rd sector organisation.
Applicants should have a degree, professional qualification or evidence of relevant knowledge and experience.
- Experience in developing a strategic vision, service delivery, governance,
- Experience in business, financial and people management.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritise and manage time effectively.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and presentational skills to a diverse range of audiences.
- Ability to maintain and develop strong relationships, networking effectively as an ambassador, recruiter, and fundraiser.